Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Welcome to Plus Size for Carnival


A place where ladies who are curvy, luscious, voluptuous and proud of it, can get together to discuss physical fitness, nutrition, health, as well as the special circumstances that we face in this weight challenged society. We can also research which bands are willing to accommodate with well fitted Carnival costumes for plus size beauties.

I am in my 30's, a wife and mother. I am from the beautiful twin island nation of Trinidad and Tobago, whose Carnival is touted as "The Greatest Show On Earth". I have loved Carnival since I was old enough to walk. Just as Carnival has undergone changes in costumes styles and pricing over the past 15 years, so has my figure. (Smile).

There used to be a time when the sight of a skimpy costume would send me into a self confidence spiraling anxiety attacks. I would feel my heart beat against my chest wall at the very thought of those skimpy costumes, knowing full well that I could never fit into them and still look wonderful.

Add to the fact, that I have always, even in my skinnier days, been well endowed with a buxom breast line. The mass purchased flimsy bras offered at the mas camps, were like putting a band aide on a cantaloupe. They did me no good in the support department.

To make my anxiety worse, I would go into health depleting ritual starvation mode. My warped mind actually had me thinking that I would actually to fit into a costume like the 5'11, 120 pound model on the flyer or website. Over the years, I tried every fad and crash diet prior to Carnival and only ended up making my self sick and miserable with minimal strength to play mas, and even more minimal weight loss results. All of this hoopla, and my costume would still be uncomfortable and ill fitting.

In 2004, I wanted to play mas, but I was sick of sore breasts from ill fitting, non supporting bras, bikini bottoms that left the inside of my thighs sore and chafed, and just of over all not feeling good and confident in my Carnival costume. Lest I play with the one of the "older band" in a fully covered mas outfit, and give up the bling and beads, I felt that my options had run out. I was ready to give up on the thing that has bought me the most pleasure each year. Carnival.

I then had a revelation and a HUGE reality check. I had to accept that I was no longer the 18 year old motherless girl who could freely wear a bikini. I had to accept that some things just genetically predispose some women to thicker thighs, bulkier midsections, and bigger bamsees. In light of all of this, I did realize that I had strong advantage. I WAS HAPPY AND HEALTHY. Although I was a what would be considered a "tick ting", I was as strong and healthy as a horse. I was not plagued with diabetes, high blood pressure, or any of the other disease processes that are associated with being outside of the recommended Body Mass Index. I was grateful that God had given me two good legs, and two good feet to jump up on Carnival Monday and Tuesday and I planned to utilize them. This is when I got PRO-ACTIVE!!

I refused to chip down the road with my parents to the smooth sounds of the Starlift's steel pans just to have the support and the coverage I so badly needed. I decided that despite my thick size, that I was fully entitled to support, coverage, and all the bling I wanted for my money.

I began looking past the thin MODELS on the mas bands' websites, and began looking at the COSTUMES that I found attractive. I shifted my vision to see how those very same costumes could be tailored to fit MY needs. I composed an email asking about the possibility of bringing my own well fitted bra for the mas camp to decorate, and began inquiring what other bottom options where offered to cover my thighs. Needless to say, I go no response from some bands/sections, and letters of apologies from others that they did not cater to women like me. Undaunted, I looked at this "rejection" as a God send, because I knew now, where NOT to spend my hard earned money.

One the sections whose costumes that I was really in love with, did email me back. Then they called. This was the beginning of me being an advocate for my own comfort and appearance on the road during Carnival. I had my own custom bra made, and my costume tailored to how I wanted it. I was not only ready for Carnival, but the question was, "Is Carnival ready for me?!"

Carnival 2004 was a turning point for me. Having my own well supporting bra, and well fitted costume, it was the first Carnival in my adult life where complaints about a sore big toe took precedence over tears and tenderness of sore breasts. This also was a turning point for my husband and my on the road liming partners. We spent the day doing what Carnival day was meant for. Having a good time! The experience was not clouded with me holding camera, drink cup, and other on the road essentials while my husband adjusted my bra, pulled down arm and leg pieces that had rolled up, or adjusted an ill-fitting belt that had gone askew.

Now, as a result of me looking after my own comfort and needs, I can enjoy my beloved Carnival in all of my BEAUTIFUL PLUS SIZED SPLENDOR!

This is my story. What is yours?

I look forward to your participating and sharing.

Plus and Proud,

Voluptuous Masquerader.
voluptuous.masquerader@gmail.com

Picture source: Trinidad Guardian

10 comments:

-:¦:-•:*''''*:•.-:¦:-•* cb *•-:¦:-•:*''''*:•-:¦:- said...

Wonderful story and I'm very glad you were (are) able to enjoy your Carnival without sacrificing your comfort. Cheers!

Looking forward to reading more. :-)

Megan said...

Great work!!! & best wishes to your new blog!!!

Trini Orisha Gyal said...

Lovely posting, and you capture the true spirits of plus size women who love carnival. Thank you.

Test said...

I'm trying to think of something eloquent to say, but all I can come up with is "YAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!"

Anonymous said...

EXCELLENT first post VM!!!!!!!!

Someone said...

I am loving the Blog, it's about time someone thought about this!!!!

Trini-in-Toronto said...

Welcome,
Nice post and I like your writting style. Maybe you could big up (by name) the bands or section leaders who were welcoming and accommodating . Look forward to your next post

Triniprincess said...

GREAT POST!!! And I agree I want names

Robert Licon said...

Congratulation on your story and I fully agree that more needs to be written about how beautiful plus-size women really are.

Anonymous said...

I really love your first post. Thanks for the plus size costumes and Carnival!